Airsoft Auckland

Induction afternoon game format

Offline Tank

Induction afternoon game format
« on: March 22, 2013, 01:48:22 AM »
It has been a consistent format for inductions for a long time but I wanted to get member's and particularly non member's opinions on long games being run after lunch.
I bring this up as I am concerned that those not used to ASA member games (which is a big point of induction games I think) may be finding 3-4 hour games too long and getting worn out and perhaps even leaving early as a result.
Might it preferable to make games not last more than 2 hours or so? Perhaps we aim to have lunch later and make the afternoon game 3 hours but run more morning games? How about 1 hour games all day?
Please post up your thoughts and more and I would very much like to hear from non ASA members in particular.

-Tank

Offline Xarden

Re: Induction afternoon game format
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »
We also recommend bringing plenty of water (at least 1.5L) to keep you hydrated during the day.
This is a known general cause of fatigue.

Offline Postman

• KnifeKills=x62 [TBA]
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
Personally i leave early because I get to skirmish a lot more than before. Might just be that people get their fix a lot faster!

Offline thenightguy

• TNG
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »
I personally don't like short little games. But that's probably more suited to an induction day so don't listen to me lol. I'll just keep going to more member games.

Offline xiphiaz

• Jagdhunde (AWOL)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »
One thing done recently at an induction that I really enjoyed was after a decently long morning game Hong ran a mini 2v2 quickfire round robin tournament in a very limited space so everyone could spectate.

It taught me quite a few skills, as there is little to no time between engagements, and I could observe other people's play styles while they were playing.

Offline Fang

• Wolves Team 2IC
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 12:43:15 AM »
Just a suggestion - what if after a morning warm-up there is a mission based game that goes till 3-4 pm?

Gives a completely different feel what airsoft is about as opposed to casual shootouts

Offline rvp69

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 01:27:02 AM »
short or long games im not really fussed at the last induction game i over herd two new players saying the avo game was epic!! props to xarden and tank ,the team that drifted off had a team leader that basicly gave up and verbally demoralized his team i think that had a huge part to play in that team giving up.

Offline thenightguy

• TNG
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:29:06 AM »
Just a suggestion - what if after a morning warm-up there is a mission based game that goes till 3-4 pm?

Gives a completely different feel what airsoft is about as opposed to casual shootouts

I'm all for this. The themed objectives and even a few little bit of story fluff (can be as simple as you guys are nato, you guys are private military) are what make airsoft interesting.

'put the blue barrel in their base' is a bit too casualsoft for me.

Bane

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »

I'm all for this. The themed objectives and even a few little bit of story fluff (can be as simple as you guys are nato, you guys are private military) are what make airsoft interesting.

'put the blue barrel in their base' is a bit too casualsoft for me.

Agreed

Need something with a bit more of an objective/goal.

Things like Rugby, Tag, etc were quick fire games as warmups on inductions.

Offline Chibt

• F.T.A TL,
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 02:45:48 AM »
Think back to when you were new - did you want to shoot stuff and spam or play tactical?

I would suggest the latter.

Offline thenightguy

• TNG
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:22:44 AM »
Think back to when you were new - did you want to shoot stuff and spam or play tactical?

Did you mean to say 'the former?'

Offline Fang

• Wolves Team 2IC
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »

I think it would be good to show both, as casual shootouts do not show what airsoft is about, and even if you do 3 casual games to start, then brief lunch break, and than a tactical game, that would do the trick

Offline Chibt

• F.T.A TL,
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »

Did you mean to say 'the former?'

I missed the "not" doh.

Offline terence12

• D.H.D
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
this convo came up a couple of years ago to dumb down the induction and if anyone wants to play other games then join and play the member games
tbh doesnt really matter most people leave because there usually tired anyways. its up to you how you want to play. either you play gun ho and shoot anything or the silent tactical approach. i like to mx it up its suppose to be fun on induction days. as long its an enjoyable day people will still come back. we should push for larger member games though

Offline rvp69

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
we should push for larger member games though

ok good call, members game next weekend haha cya there T  :)

Offline terence12

• D.H.D
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »
yeah ive ordered some bb's to test out, gun does not like madbull bio's so im going to test out the g&g set.

Offline thenightguy

• TNG
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »
we should push for larger member games though

ok good call, members game next weekend haha cya there T  :)

I won't hold my breath

Offline terence12

• D.H.D
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »
like i said ill try out the g&g bios before saying im in no point if i cant use bios.....

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 01:43:59 AM »
I think something closer to a MilSim type scenario is preferable for one long match to showcase the tactical side of airsoft, but it's also important to include some shorter, more casual games, as longer games can get quite tedious, especially to people who may only be there to have a good time with their mates.

What I'd really like to see (more than game format changes) is simply a bigger emphasis on teamwork and tactics. For example, give the teams five minutes or so before a MilSim game to actually sit down and talk about who is going to do what and how they're doing it, maybe using diagrams and maps, etc. I see so many new players (I was guilty of this) end up on their own because multiple groups on the same team were all just doing their own thing. Obviously this would really only work for longer games, as it would be tedious to do it for every little game, but I think it would be really good to get them thinking a little and highlight the team aspect, as it really is a team sport.

Offline terence12

• D.H.D
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 04:09:47 AM »
if you want milsim theres members and nomad games, induction days are just that induction days. its for new people to give airsoft a go and if your love it then you can join and experience other types of games etc. inductions were started because complained that peoples +'1's didnt know the rules etc. keep it as it is and if you want more then join the members games..